Homeschooling can be an exciting and rewarding way for families to help their children achieve more. When parents decide to homeschool, they’ve made the first choice for family-focused learning. But this is only the first choice – choosing the right curriculum is key to ensuring a successful homeschool experience. With so many resources and programs available to homeschooling families now, parents need to consider a number of criteria to decide what curriculum will best fit their children.
According to a 2002 survey of homeschooling parents, some of the top factors parents consider when evaluating curriculum are:
• How well the program meets their child’s needs
• Content and design of the program
• What program others recommend
• How easy the program is to use
According to the same survey, more than 70 percent of homeschooling families in America have used Saxon for math instruction. Why is Saxon the most popular choice among homeschooling families? Feedback from parents indicates there are 10 good reasons.
What makes Saxon so popular with homeschooling families?
1. Saxon provides a proven approach to instruction – The Saxon Math program is based on research that shows that the most effective way for students to learn math concepts is in increments or small, easily-understood pieces. With Saxon Math, each facet of a concept is taught in an individual lesson and practiced before the next facet is introduced. Then both facets are practiced together before introducing the next lesson. This gradual development of a concept gives students a chance to fully understand skills and concepts before going to the next level of instruction.
2. Saxon includes continual review for success – No topic is ever dropped and forgotten in Saxon materials. Daily practice strengthens children’s understanding of math concepts. As new concepts are introduced, previously presented concepts continue to be reviewed and practiced as well, which gives children an opportunity to build a deeper understanding of concepts and helps them retain what they’ve learned.
3. Saxon makes it easy for parents to monitor progress – Saxon courses include frequent and cumulative assessments that help parents monitor children’s progress. Research shows that students achieve higher levels of achievement with frequent testing that encompasses all the skills and concepts they have practiced and reviewed, not just information covered since the last test. Saxon provides weekly testing materials already prepared that help parents easily determine if children are mastering math concepts.
4. Saxon covers the math concepts needed for academic achievement – Saxon Math is complete, and covers the concepts required for standardized assessments and lifelong learning. Because each Saxon lesson and book builds incrementally on previously introduced concepts, the comprehensive curriculum ensures that key math concepts will not be missed or skipped over. By following the easy-to-use, uniquely structured Saxon program, parents can help their children build a solid and comprehensive understanding of fundamental math concepts that supports learning for life.
5. Saxon is easy to teach – Saxon scripted lessons are modeled on the best and most effective teaching practices to bring out the master teacher in all parents. Concepts are explained clearly and lessons are well-organized to ensure consistency of instruction. K-3 Teacher’s Manuals include daily lessons, pre-class preparation instructions, a list of needed materials and scripted lessons with teaching and questioning strategies. Even parents with little or no background in math or teaching can easily follow the step-by-step daily lessons, practice and problem sets of the middle- and upper-grades mathematics curriculum.
6. Saxon provides convenient, easy-to-use materials – Saxon Math’s Homeschool Kits contain the materials parents need to successfully teach each course: student texts, masters, worksheets, assessments, answer keys and Solutions Manuals. Parents don’t need to make any materials, write exercises or prepare test questions. Saxon also helps families get started by providing a free Placement Guide and Tests to help parents determine the right program level for each child.
7. Saxon integrates geometry instruction – Unlike many other math programs, Saxon does not treat geometry as a separate subject. Geometry concepts are introduced in early books and then continually developed and reinforced throughout the middle and upper grades mathematics courses. By incorporating geometry instruction throughout, Saxon helps children deepen and retain their understanding of geometry concepts and the critical thinking skills that support geometry learning.
8. Saxon fosters independent learning and builds confidence – Saxon helps children succeed. By providing familiar, step-by-step activities written in clear, straightforward language, students know how to proceed with their daily lessons and become more self-sufficient in their work. Saxon middle-grade materials gradually move to mathematical modeling and problem solving that help children acquire independent learning skills. As fundamental math skills become automated, students gain the ability to apply these skills to new situations and develop the confidence to work with more complex concepts.
9. Saxon leads to mastery – The Saxon program builds the math foundation and the math mastery that supports learning for life. Incremental instruction and cumulative assessment give children the time and opportunity to develop a deep understanding of math concepts. Continual practice and review help them retain those concepts. The result? Student achievement, improved test scores and the satisfaction children feel when they fully comprehend a math concept.
10. Saxon supports homeschooling families if they need help – Saxon experts are available online and by phone to help homeschooling parents and students. Saxon will provide assistance in choosing and setting up a homeschool program and offers free online math practice for students. If students need extra help with specific problems, they can e-mail experienced Saxon teachers for assistance. Parents with questions can also call the toll-free Parent Support Line. By providing superior support and services, Saxon partners with homeschooling families to ensure success at home.
For more information on how Saxon helps homeschoolers
succeed, visit www.saxonhomeschool.com.
For a preview of Saxon Math, select from one of three free samplers: K-3,
Middle Grades and Upper Grades.
|Copyright © 2006 Modern Media - Subscribe to The LINK for FREE|